Tax Prep Checklist

Here's a basic checklist of information to start organizing for your 2018 tax return. If you are fully prepared for your visit, you will save time and help ensure that you receive all the tax benefits, credits and deductions allowed. Although this is not an all-inclusive list, it will help steer you in the right direction. As you begin receiving important tax documents in January 2019, file them with this checklist.

General Information
  • ​Copy of your 2017 tax return (unless we prepared the return last year)
  • Any notices or correspondence you received from the Internal Revenue Service, your state or city or other taxing entity
  • Social Security number and date of birth for yourself, your spouse and your dependents
  • Physical address, email addresses, and telephone numbers

  • All W-2 Forms from all employers you and your spouse received for 2018
  • Savings and Investments reporting forms including Form 1099-INT, Form 1099-DIV, Form 1099-B, Form 1099-S or Schedule K-1 (Excel copies of brokerage trades if possible)
  • Statements of income from retirement distributions or Social Security Payments including Form 1099-R or Form 1099-SSA
  • Any Cancellation of Debt, Form 1099-A or 1099-C
  • Records of other income including but not limited to; unemployment, state tax refunds, gambling income and losses, spousal support/alimony received, jury duty, hobby income and expenses, prizes and awards. These may include Forms 1099-MISC or Form W-2G
  • Closing documents on any real estate transaction you had during the year, including purchase, sale, refinancing or foreclosure
  • Any spousal support/alimony you paid and the social security number of the recipient
  • If you are a K-12 teacher, record of any unreimbursed classroom expenses and training
  • Health Savings Account contributions and distributions, Form 1099-HSA and Form 5498
  • Traditional IRA or Roth IRA contributions reported on Form 5498 
  • Tuition, fees paid and costs of required books, supplies and equipment with Form 1098-T 
  • Student Loan Interest paid reported on Form 1098-E
  • Record of estimated taxes paid to the federal government, state and local governments

Business, Rental, and Farming Income
  • The books/accounting records for your business, including all income and expenses, in whatever formats you keep your records
  • Any Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-K (Income reported by credit card companies or third party payment processors such as PayPal, Square, etc.)
  • Records of all major purchases $500 or greater, such as machinery, equipment, furniture including date of purchase and item that was purchased
  • Inventory records (beginning and ending inventory, purchases and amounts for personal use)
  • Mileage logs, including total annual mileage and business mileage for any vehicles with business use. We need the total miles and the business miles you drove between January 2018 and December 2018
  • For self-employed individuals, health insurance premiums paid for owner and family, including adult children less than 27 years old. If you need guidance in organizing this information, please check our website for worksheets.

Itemized Deductions

  • Medical expenses (co-pays, doctors, dentists, glasses, prescriptions, and medical mileage)
  • Health Insurance payments, including payments for COBRA
  • State and local income taxed paid (not those withheld)
  • Mortgage interest paid, including Form 1098
  • Mortgage insurance paid (at closing or reported on Form 1098)
  • Investment interest expenses-margin account interest or interest on investment property
  • Total cash charitable donations – We do not need to see the documentation but make sure you keep it with your records.
  • Records of non-cash charitable donations including items donated, receiving charity, date and value of donation
  • If you donated a vehicle, Form 1099-C
  • Total volunteer miles driven during the year
  • Details of any casualty loss or theft

  • Form 1095-A, B, or C to show health coverage for the household
  • Dependent care expenses, including the amount paid, the provider’s name, address, and tax ID number
  • Adoption expenses if you adopted a child in 2018 or finalized the adoption in 2018
  • Residential energy credits - including costs for insulation, high efficiency windows, doors, water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners, heat pumps, solar
  • If you received the First Time Homebuyer Credit in prior years, please make sure we have records of that original purchase and any correspondence you have received from the IRS

Client Organizers
  • If you would like to request a detailed Client Organizer, we can send organizers as .pdf files attached to an email. Please email us to request your organizer - include your full name, address, and email address where you would like to receive your organizer.

Our website also has worksheets that can help you get organized if you have different ventures this year than last. Please remember that your return will not be started by our office until all tax documents have been received. We are here to help! We don’t want the organizing part of your tax preparation to be a huge challenge. Please feel free to call us or email us or just come in and see us if you need some help or guidance in getting everything together.